Saturday, August 17, 2013

Your expectations will change, if you cook sous vide

Yeah, I know... My praise of sous vide cooking already gets boring... But trust me (again) it is really really great!
If you are cooking sous vide duck breasts, the fat of the skin is perfectly prepared to render. You never had crispier, yet juicy and medium rare duck in your life!

Speaking of medium rare: I have to admit- I wasn't a big fan of anything below medium. I experienced the taste a bit... oily - it just tasted odd. And the texture is usually kind of unpleasant chewy. This is because, medium rare (or rare) in traditional cooking means really partly uncooked (and yes, you could put the stuff into the oven on a low heat, which decreases stage problem, but it is still there).

This applies for everything you eat medium rare or rare: duck breast, beef, game, lamb - I realize it specially if it comes to beef tenderloin!

However if you sous vide it to the same temperature, it won't have this oily and chewy character. As you really cook the meat (to the perfect temperature) throughout.

Unfortunately this means, that you will be much more picky, if you are eating out.
A couple of days ago I had a Wagyu strip loin, and while the taste was great, it was (in my world now) far too dry, almost overcooked. I could do it better. And (this is another advantage of sous vide): guaranteed and consistent!

No comments:

Post a Comment