Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Amazonas, Mushrif Mall, Abu Dhabi

My visit happened already a couple of weeks ago. I directly posted my experience on yadig.com [think Middle Eastern yelp] - but then was too busy and lazy to put it here.

Amazonas offers [as the name suggest] South American cuisine. I think it is especially Ecuadorian and Columbian cuisine - but I am no more sure.

Anyway the Mushrif mall offers quite  a lot of dining options - especially in the food court. And every shack is more colorful and polished looking than the other. Not so much Amazonas - it looks rather like a cheap cafeteria - don't get me wrong  - it is clean and all, but it just doesn't give you a lot of confidence.
I think, the manager was behind the counter - and he was very friendly and helpful. I opted for the pulled beef arepa and a shredded chicken empanada. The manager gave me some lemon soured sugar cane juice to try, but as it was luke warm [I think this was the only downside of my experience - except off course the design] I rather went for a commercial soft drink.

The food took a while - maybe a bit longer than the spoiled fast food person. But when I got my food, it was hot and freshly prepared.
At Amazonas the arepa was not as filled - but still very tasty.

The arepa [kind of a sandwich] had a very nice, fluffy but also crisp exterior. The meat was nicely seasoned - and as I ordered it - pulled. The meat was a bit dry… but the package was definitely really yummy.






The empanada was different, as I got to knew it from Argentina. In fact, it was a completely different dough. But anyway - it was totally delicious!
Again outside crisp and inside soft [though a completely different texture than the arepa], properly seasoned.
Unfortunately the chicken was also a bit dry.

But here is the thing: it really felt and tasted as home cooking. And while home cooking is sometimes not perfect in technique it makes up in love. And this is the point in Amazonas - it really taste as the chef made it with love and as the recipe where developed with love.

And while it is the maybe ugliest stand in the food court, I would definitely pick it as the best! Unfortunately most people will overlook it, as the other restaurants look much better, more flashy, better designed…
But if you really like to have good food, turn to Amazonas. And fill out [like me] a comment card, with the request, that they should redesign the looks of the stand - but keep the love and the tasty food!

WOW or MEH:                  Wow
Ambiance:                          3
Value for Money [1-10]:     7
Deliciousness [1-10]:          8
Staff Helpfulness [1-10]:    8
Going back:                         Definitely
Overall Score:                      7




No comments:

Post a Comment