Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wings 'n Things

When I have seen the not yet open fast food restaurant Wings 'n Things in the Mushriff mall in Abu Dhabi, I thought it will be a very good idea to go there.
Who doesn't love messy, hot and delicious chicken wings - and who could make this dish better, than an outlet which dedicates its name to it?

Well, it came other than expected.

So yesterday I visited the mall again and found Wings 'n Things open. The restaurant which features only a couple of tables and the bar counter makes an attractive and clean impression. Everything is white, blue and red - time will tell, if this design wil stand the test of time and will look as clean and attractive in a couple of months or years.

The first point which surprises is, that they not only feature on poultry pinions - they have different burgers, wraps, sandwiches, just other stuff. This might be strange - but as I was anyway excited about their main focus, I thought I was safe about any abominations of dishes, which were not their specialty.

So I "tried" to order some hot wings and chicken strips. "Tried" because the menu was a bit confusing - with pictures, yes, but I've confused the kids menu with the normal items and ordered a kids meal - including chicken strips, fries and a soft drink [which they didn't let me order - so they just opted for the more expensive strips only]. The staff was not really helpful to solve my confusion...

When I received the strips and wings but not the fries and drink I was already disappointed.
However when I started to eat the strips I was horrified. Cheap and miserable formed meat was on my tray. The deep frozen ones, you can buy in the supermarket. 4 pieces for 20 Dhs is a really expensive - given, that it is industrial garbage. The ranch dressing was also not very good [the portion was ok - but given, that it tasted really bad, this was not helping].
I was more optimistic for the wings. But I was again disappointed! Despite the fact, that it was mentioned on the menu, that the wings are not breaded, they were floured - crispy yes, but didn't had the blistered sexiness as your well made buffalo wings. Also they didn't tasted very well - maybe cheap hot sauce? The wings themselves were rather big - but not overall fleshy - awkwardly moist inside [a guess they were slightly undercooked].

And by the way - blue cheese dip was not available - c'mon - in a place which is called Wings 'n Things??

Overall the only pleasant thing on my tray were each two big sticks of celery and carrot.
Pleasant, but not good enough for AED 50 [for 2 menu items].

WOW or MEH:                  Meh
Ambiance:                           7
Value for Money [1-10]:     2
Deliciousness [1-10]:           2
Staff Helpfulness [1-10]:     3
Going back:                         No
Overall Score:                      2

Verdict: Wings 'n Things  is a concept with a huge potential of deliciousness. Whoever tried good made Buffalo wings knows about the finger licking qualities.
However they are falling short on quality and an inadequate pricing policy. Other than the overall look and feel of the outlet, it seems not in any instance better as your usual cheap cafeteria.
Don't go! Even the chicken nuggets of MacDonalds [in the same food court in the mall] or the chicken pieces of the also quality struggling KFC are much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment